Thursday, October 7, 2010

9.11

This 9-11 isn't a month late reference to the twin towers tragedy. It is actually a weight: 9 pounds 11 ounces. Yep, a 9-pound 11-ounce baby came into the world this week. What a whopper. A cute whopper, too. Thankfully, we planned her C-section for a week before her due date. Can you imagine how much bigger this kiddo could have been?

This surgery was so much fun and again served as a reminder that my job is awesome. This patient was my first continuity Ob. Meaning that I've been following her in clinic for her entire pregnancy, and I've had the privilege of getting to know their family for the last few months. It makes the delivery even more sweeter than all of the others where I show up at the end, barely introduce myself, and then: "It's a boy!" I much prefer this.

The day actually started bright and early - actually, dark and early because I still had to see all of my hospital patients for the service I'm on currently. I tried not to be too hasty in my excitement, but I was so anxious for the big moment.

Finally, we were standing in the OR and thick black hair was visible through the incision. After a few tries to pull the dark, round head out into the world, we resorted to the vacuum to give a little extra leverage. (You know it's a big kid when you have to use a vacuum during a C-section!) Within moments he was out. I cut the cord and handed my newest patient to the nurse waiting behind me. Perfectly healthy. Perfectly happy. As the baby was screaming and getting accustomed to the world around. I got to sew the muscles, fascia, and tissues back together. The adrenaline pumped as I remembered how much fun surgery is.

Then, shortly before Dad was showing off the tiny face to Mom, the nurse yelled out "Nine Eleven." All I could think was: thank goodness we didn't do a TOLAC*!



(*TOLAC = Trial Of Labor After C-section; i.e. attempting to have a vaginal delivery after having a prior C-section.)

2 comments:

  1. Do docs even let women try TOLAC/VBAC anymore? I've read that even if the MD will allow it, most hospitals won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know someone who delivered twins vaginally after her first daughter was born via cesarean. She delivered in Omaha, so I don't know who her OB was or at which hospital she delivered. I'm sure that's pretty rare though.

    ReplyDelete