Monday, June 20, 2011

Just A Theory

I have a theory. It seems the less I "have" to work the less I "expect" to work.

On months where I slave away for hours and days on end, I seem to be relatively productive with my time. And, I seem to gripe and complain less when I have to go in for a few hours on the weekends. I'm grateful to get off at 5:30 instead of 7:00. However, on months like this one, where I'm working 9-5 or less, I dread going in and count the minutes until I'm on my way home. I hate to admit it, but sometimes I even whine when I have to stay the full time until 5:00. Why is that? Maybe it's just me.

For example, today 9:00am was the start of my work day. On previous rotations I've been there for at least three of four hours by then. Our staff on this rotation is usually late so I even rolled in 5 minutes late today myself. (I was the first one there.) I had a meeting at 11:30 across town, so my "work day" ended at 11:00 and I was home after the meeting around 1:00. I really worked for less than two hours and yet instead of being thankful, I wished instead that I didn't have to go at all.

Then, since I wasn't expecting to have the afternoon off, I concocted all of these brilliant plans for the afternoon. Study for boards. Finish a presentation. Clean. Do laundry. Make some phone calls. Two and half hours in and guess what I've done... check email and facebook (a few times, might I add), and now clearly I'm procrastinating even more by blogging. Pretty pathetic, huh?

I should probably make a mid-year resolution to change my attitude. So for now, I'm going to close my internet and get to work on my presentation... After I check Facebook one more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment