Thursday, September 30, 2010

Tetany

There has been a little bit of a theme this week. First, there were several adult patients in clinic that hadn't been immunized for years. (And, no, this isn't going to be a discussion on the need to immunize children... maybe later) Most people know that they should get their tetanus shot every ten years, but very few people actually remember when they are due. You would be surprised how quickly ten years can go.

It goes so quickly that even I let it slide. However, this afternoon my sleeve was rolled up, and my shoulder was in a nurse's pinching grasp. One second later I was good for another 10 years. One less thing on my to-do list. It feels good to not have that over my head.

Then, in our morning teaching session someone presented a case they saw from last month when they diagnosed a real life tetanus infection. And this isn't the first time this has happened in Omaha either. It is everywhere.

Moral of the story: get your vaccine!

No comments:

Post a Comment