Thursday, May 27, 2010

Teething

For the past month or so, every time our precious 5.5-month old has cried for no apparent reason, or was more difficult to console than usual, someone would say, "Oh, he must be teething." When this started, not only did I not really find that statement very helpful at the moment, but I also didn't believe it. My response was usually, "Maybe." or "Could be." in order to avoid any lengthy conversation on the topic. Remember, my baby was screaming! If you've ever tried to have a conversation with a screaming child in the background, then you understand my rationale.

We have received all kinds of advice (which, by the way, I really do appreciate, even if I don't take it right away). Frozen washcloths seems to be a favorite. Forgive me, however, for throwing away the gift of "teething tablets" - tiny, powdered, white pills - that Jason carried in one afternoon in an unlabeled zip lock baggy. (I'll leave the source of the gift "unlabeled", too.) Seriously though, it could have been sugar or aspirin or morphine or crack for all I knew! It was a very thoughtful gesture though. Thank you.

However, now, after about 4 weeks of the he-must-be-teething excuse, I finally believe it! Although he has always been a spitter and a drooler, now he has taken it to the next level. For example, last night we were at a party, and he was getting passed around like all cute little babies do. At one point, he was being entertained by a small group sitting behind me, and, with my back to them, I could hear their conversation about how much he drooled and how they remember when their kids were going through "that stage." Exhibit A. Exhibit B is the fact that for the last few days it has taken more than an hour to put him down for his morning nap, and we won't even talk about the afternoon one. He used to fuss for a while and then... silence. Now his fuss has become an all-out howl that originates from the depths of his little belly. Maybe it's because I'm his mom, but it is more than a cry to me. It sounds like a plea for a help - a cry of utter pain. Lastly, Exhibit C. One thing I can count on to help quiet his howl into sweet little body-shaking sniffles is that water-filled pink and green chew-toy (for lack of a better, non-canine word) fresh out of the freezer.

My baby is growing up. He's teething!

No comments:

Post a Comment