Monday, May 31, 2010

Dear Cousin,

What are you waiting for? I came to see you this weekend, but you didn't come to see me. My mom has been telling me since I sat on you at her graduation that I would get to meet you soon. Instead, here we are. Waiting. Waiting for you.

Everyone might not understand what it's like for you, but it hasn't been that long since I was in your position. I know what it's like to hear every single one of your mom's heart beats. To have her all to yourself. To be soothed by the rocking of her walk. To have every need met before you even feel it. To know you're loved even before you've shown your face is real, unconditional love. It is cozy in there, and sometimes I miss it, too.

Even though you have it pretty good in there I have to be honest with you that it isn't too bad out here either. The feeling of your moms touch is even more comforting than her heart beat, and your dad's smile is more loving than the muffled voice you've been identifying as his. And your sisters ... oh boy, your sisters! If the way they smother me with kisses, attention, and sticky fingers is any indication, they are going to eat you up.

So even if I didn't get to meet you this weekend, I hope you'll consider making your appearance soon. We are waiting. Just waiting. But please don't make us wait too much longer.

Your Cousin,
Owen Titus

No comments:

Post a Comment