Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Formula

Owen's bottle this morning was a little different color, a little different texture, and I'm sure had a little different taste. He had his first swallow of formula today. To be honest, this too is a bittersweet day. As much as I have found feeding him rewarding, I'm also going to be a little relieved to share the burden with that can of powdered goodness. I'm also looking forward to sharing the burden... I mean, the pleasure, of those 1:00-am feedings with Jason.

My goal is to feed him for at least 6 months and likely be done soon after he has teeth. Before you ask, you should know that there is no science behind my decision. Medicine would say, "Breast is best, but formula is a good alternative." My plan is more of a goal to remind me that I wouldn't do this forever. Some of the more difficult days that I found it reassuring to know there would be an end, and on the good days it encouraged me simply to enjoy it. In just 11 days he'll reach the 6 month milestone, and we all know those teeth are coming sooner rather than later. Additionally, with me going back to work, this seems like a natural time to take that step and introduce formula. After this, I don't really have a plan. My body will have something to say about it just as much as Owen's growing body will, so we'll just play it by ear (or his stomach, rather).

As I dumped the powder in and shook to rid the bottle of every tiny clump, I wondered what he would think of the difference. I hoped he would like it. I worried he would like it better. I planned this to be the time. It was just the two of us. Selfishly, I have wanted to be the one to give the first taste test. I don't really know why, but I guess it's because feeding him has always been my thing. He gladly took the familiar bottle as we sat down in our favorite rocker. However, after one big suck, he scrunched up his nose and released the seal he had created with his lips. He rolled the nipple of the bottle over his tongue as his mind tried to process this new substance. He didn't hate it, but it definitely was something new. Then, after 5 minutes of sampling and analyzing, he decided it was good enough and proceeded to empty the contents. It was a success. What's more, he gave me a little satisfaction by not enjoying it more than my "home-cooked" bottle and at the same time not giving me the frustration of having to force it. Have I told you what a good baby I have?!

No comments:

Post a Comment