Thursday, June 10, 2010

Zoo

A momentous occasion has passed. Owen had his first trip to the zoo! Why is it that the first experience at the zoo is such a milestone? (Or maybe it's not, and I'm just super sentimental. If so, you'll have to humor me for a little while.) This was truly an experience I've been looking forward to since the day I found out I was pregnant - probably even before that. And the outfit he wore has been picked out for just about as long. I've been excited to see the look on his face when he sees the penguins for the first time, curious to know if he'd cry when he hears a lion roar for the first time, eager to watch his little fingers touch the fur of a goat for the first time, and on and on - all for the first time. Needless to say my cameras were charged and ready. The poor kid had a lot of expectations placed on him.

It was such a funny day. Not really in the comical sense, but just a weird day. Unfortunately, I was exhausted because I had worked the night before, and we weren't exactly well prepared because we still had to buy a stroller. (Our original stroller got returned several days ago due to the most annoying wheel on the planet.) I spent the morning and early afternoon learning that early summer is a terrible time to buy a jogging stroller because everyone else is doing the same. I did finally find one, and a pretty good one, at a sporting goods store of all places. Needless to say, that adventure put us a little behind schedule.

Even though we didn't have time to see every exhibit and do everything, I think it was plenty for Owen's little senses to take in. What surprised me was his reaction, or lack there of. He watched the penguins swim like he'd see them a thousand times. He found the stuffed puppy he's played with a hundred time just as entertaining at the sharks. He cried through the entire Madagascar exhibit because he was hungry just like he would have if it was any other afternoon at home. His expression for most of the trip was as follows:
Pretty exciting, huh? Doesn't that face just ooze with the thrill of a new adventure? Come on, Owen, don't you know you're at the Z-O-O! Maybe it would have helped if mom and dad would have made sure he had a nap before we left. He did manage to crack a smile or two, and after a bottle he let out a couple of laughs. All in all, I think he enjoyed it, but I'm sure the excitement will fill his eyes when he's a little older and better able to appreciate the wonder that is the zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment