Friday, June 4, 2010

Shift #1

Well, yesterday, was a busy day. I'm getting back into the swing of things. It was my first actual shift in the Emergency Department. From 7AM to 7PM (actually is was more like from 6:45AM to 7:20PM) you could find me somewhere down in the "pit" - as some would call it.

Thankfully, it was a good day, and everyone was friendly and helpful, that includes the staff, other residents, nurses, patients, and even the patient's families... except for one patient, I guess. But I forgive her because she is "well-advanced-in-years," already struggles with dementia, and was sick on top of it. I don't really blame her for clenching her mouth closed when I tried to complete my ENT exam, or swinging her stuffed bear at my face when I put my stethoscope on her chest. By the look on her son's face and the genuine look of fear and confusion on hers I had nothing but compassion for her. Her smile will likely come back after a few doses of antibiotics, and if that was the worst attack on my first day, I cannot really complain.

During orientation they instructed us that our goal should be to see 10-12 patients. However, eight was the magic number for yesterday. Even if it didn't meet the quota, it isn't too bad for my first day. Of the eight, one went to the OR, one was waiting for the ortho resident to come tap her likely septic ankle (OUCH!!), three were admitted to the hospital (sorry to my fellow medicine residents who got slammed with admissions yesterday), two went home and one went back up to the labor and delivery floor to watch the birth of his first grandchild. [Must have been a good day to have a birthday. I have to interject that I became an aunt to my first nephew yesterday, too!] I even managed to get away for 30 minutes to sit and eat lunch.

One shift down, seven to go... but who's counting.

No comments:

Post a Comment