Friday, August 27, 2010

Bedtime Routine

Looking in the mirror tonight as I was taking out my contacts there was a big wet spot on my shoulder. It put a smile on my face to go with the bags under my eyes. I love, Love, LOVE getting to put Owen to bed! This week has been especially busy, so I haven't been able to for a while. It has been sorely missed.

Our routine starts with dinner. Tonight we shared macaroni and cheese and ice-cream. Don't worry, we each had some other, more nutritious food, but he didn't want my chicken and I definitely didn't want his squash. For a very good - and messy - reason, dinner is followed by a bath. Next, after sharing a few smiles with the cute and wet baby in the bathroom mirror it's a few more minutes of play time. Tonight we played fetch with Herbie outside and enjoyed a few minutes of peek-a-boo. Shortly before the clock hits 8:00 the bottle gets made and we head to his room. He gets the bottle in position as I pick out the story for the night. He eats. I read. We rock. By the end of the bottle and the second book, his eyes are as heavy as bricks. I kiss his shampoo-scented head and lay him into his crib. (Tonight I held him a little longer on my shoulder and his wet lips created the spot on my shirt that I was admiring as I took out my contacts.) As soon as he softly hits the mattress, his hands reach out for his blanket which is snuggled up to his face before I can pull my hands out from under his little body. Some days there are a few last exhausted cries while other days he falls asleep without another peep. So precious!

No comments:

Post a Comment