Sunday, August 1, 2010

Vacay

Jason and I spent this weekend relaxing at Lied Lodge in Nebraska City. Let me tell you, it was a much needed get away! It was "much needed" for a few reasons...

First of all, it was a celebration of our sixth anniversary. Can you believe it - 6 years?! That alone is more than enough reason for a vacation in our opinion. Every year we've tried to do something fun, and on our tight budget we usually try to find somewhere to go that is close to home. Also, not only was it our anniversary, but we hadn't yet spent a night away from Owen together. Even dinners out together have been sparse lately, so we really needed this. Nebraska City turned out to be a perfect spot. It was romantic in a Nebraska kind of way. There wasn't a white sand, moonlit beach to walk along, but the sunset is just was beautiful there as anywhere, and the coziness of the wooded lodge and the winding forest trail were the perfect settings for some great conversation. I would recommend it to any local couple who is looking for a place to just get away for a day.

Another reason we needed this trip was to honor the end of Jason's summer break. He heads back to work this week, and neither of us is looking forward to it. We needed to do something this weekend to keep us from dreading the busyness and chaos that surely lies ahead.

Lastly, I have been anticipating this long weekend since I got my rotation schedule months ago. When I saw what was planned for August, September, and October, it didn't take long to ask for a four day weekend to close out July. This is my final weekend before beginning back-to-back-to-back in-patient months. Yikes! And, my first month is at Children's, which I've been nervous about since I knew it existed. My stomach is a little uneasy right now knowing that it has been a while since I've taken care of kids sick enough to be hospitalized, and it's also turning a little because I'm on the floor with most of the kids with cancer. Not only will that be incredibly taxing emotionally, but also they can get really sick really fast. Honestly, I'm hoping that the fear of it has been built up and exaggerated so much in my mind that I may actually be pleasantly surprised when I make it through this. Regardless, don't hold it against me if you hear less and less from me in the weeks to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment